Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Suckling Pig Summer Sausage

We've never used suckling pig in a salami before but when we had some extra pieces we didn't have any particular use for we thought why not? It has such a distinctive flavour and since we had the hay from the farm it comes from we decided to smoke it with its own hay.
Summer sausage is a pretty quick process. Grind and mix your meat. Ferment for several days (in this case, only 1 day so we didn't over sour its delicate flavour). Smoke slowly till you reach the optimum internal temperature.
We tasted it already, you can definately taste the hay, we vac packed it and id like to let it rest a little before i give my final thoughts.

8 comments:

Darrin McCowan said...

I admire and enjoy the ideas you come up and present to us here. I do think we'd all love to hear more of the outcomes of so many of these efforts. The good as well as the bad! In the past week I went through and read it all from the first post and love it! Keep up the great work, I think of this blog daily!

Darrin

Will Ruffin said...

Hello, I'm a culinary student right now in Paris and just had a few questions to ask about the charcuterie business. Do you have a public email address I could write to?

Jeffery said...

That looks great. I can only imagine how great is tastes! Do you use fermento or do you naturally ferment the sausage? Cheers,
Jeff

Unknown said...

Hay and pig eh? Whats the verdict? Should I drop by to try it this week? :)

the unprejudice palate said...

Pretty awesome what you guys are doing, just tagged you in one of my blogs, trying to make it to your restaurant!

Your Mama said...

Wow, your blog is really cool! I'm going to be able to learn from this when me and my friends get to the charcuterie chapter of our self studies. Thanks so much!! And it looks like we are both fans of using the word "Pimp" in our kitchens, lol, except I attributed it to crisco for my biscuits. :-P

Michelle
Culinary Institute of My Own Damn Kitchen
myowndamnkitchen.blogspot.com

ahd2109 said...

I love your blog. I'm starting up a charcuterie blog reviewing meat and cheese plates in NYC (less authentic than yours) and was fortunate enough to come across your site. I lived in italy for a while and picked up a proscuitto obsession - yours looks top notch. Check out our stuff, and be in touch if you come to new york charcuterie fam. Ill definitely be checking back in.
http://charcutarama.blogspot.com

-Alexandra

Unknown said...

I had the summer sausage last night on the Charcuterie board. I think Jen said it was suckling pig, but that could be the booze talking. Anyhow, it was great. Nicely balanced soft, and silky meaty-fatty goodness.