Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Recycled Salami

We go through a lot of cured meats at the Black Hoof and now the cafe. We only use so much of these cured bits of flavor in soups, sauces, ragu's etc.... so we need to find another use for them.
A couple months ago i diced up some prosciutto ends and folded them into a genoa salami and not only did it turn out extremely well, it also gave it an amazing richness that you can only get from a cured ham.
So, the idea here with this "recycled salami" is to use everything from duck ends, pancetta, summer sausage, pepperoni, etc.... everythings fair game. i will only add enough raw meat to bind it plus a little, as for salt, i will minimize the typical 2-3 % by a little and assume the already cured meats may give off a bit. I will not be adding any seasoning other then salt and hope that the flavor from the pre cured meat will be flavourful enough. We'll see......

9 comments:

PJ said...

Grant, I mentioned this post to my boyfriend tonight, and he said I should tell you he's thought of a name for this:

I give you, the Hoof Dog!

It's like a hot dog, only delicious ;)

(Well, we hope it'll be delicious, anyway)

Grant van Gameren said...

lol hilarious! i guess it sounds a little better then "recycled"

Marcos Felipe said...

Grant, if your idea ends up not working, you may just send those bits of cured meats to my house. I'll gladly recycle them for you :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grant van Gameren said...

I understand why you guys are really happy that you won, or perhaps happier that you beat me. But both you and Steh don't even know me and should think first before you tell me to "suck it".
You guys do great work, but don't take it out on me if you don't get the recognition you deserve. Show some class.

Corey Mintz said...

Holy 1997. Tupac, Biggie, why theEast side/West side beef?

Unknown said...

Mike and Matthew, I must say that I am pretty disappointed. I was just speaking to a food journalist the other day about how proud I was to be a part of a community that was so clearly focused on camaraderie and collective growth. How, as leaders of a local food movement, we are succeeding in part, because we have managed to look beyond petty competitiveness and support one another. Mike, I love your food. Much tastier than my words. Don't make me eat them again

Unknown said...

Grant, Meant in Jest, Really not trying to be a serious jerk. Apologies. The event was a great time, and a good show from everyone.

Unknown said...

I just tried putting some recycled Portuguese style smoked bacon in some salami for the first time. Your site is amazing and I find some real inspiration in what you are doing. I would love to visit your places if I ever make it to Toronto. Santa Fe, NM is a ways away. Keep up the good work!